Male 3.5 Years Old
On 26 Apr 2020 , we took Ash back from his adopters, 2 years after they inked on the adoption agreement to look after him. We did not hesitate to take him back with us, because his last adopters could no longer manage him, and were being evicted from their lodging. Ash was peeing at pillars, lunging at kids and random strangers, and they received multiple complaints, resulting in the eviction notice.
When we went to fetch him, we had noticed he had lost a fair bit of weight but nevertheless, was still lively and energetic. Further, as it was during the CB measures, we were not able to send him in to our vet for a health check.
His last adopters claimed that they hired trainers, but none were effective. They did not wish to share which trainers they had engaged, hence we were unable to provide a fair assessment on their trainers’ effectiveness in the training.
Regardless, they made the difficult decision to return Ash, we welcomed him with open arms and promised to look after him, and find him an even better home.
Things were not meant to be, in July, after Ash settled into his foster home, he fainted and we rushed him to our vet. His gums were as pale as white sheets of paper and the vet commented that if we had brought him in a few days later, he would not have survived. A multitude of tests were done on his blood, and vital organs. He was diagnosed with a strain of tick fever called Ehrlichiosis which resulted in severe anaemia. A blood transfusion was arranged and he got better, thankfully. The vet suspected that it was likely a case of chronic ehrlichiosis that should have been picked up when he was last tested.
We were told by his ex adopters that Ash was last seen by their vet in Sep 2019, and the vet cleared him of tick fever. We had asked for his medical history to be transferred to our vet, but they had declined to do so. For whatever reason, now that Ash is back with us, it is our right to request that his past medical records be made known to our vet so that he is able to see what tests were done.
Then came even worse news; the tick fever had affected his kidney functions and his initial readings were off the chart. His kidneys were compromised. At 4 years young, Ash was diagnosed with renal failure. Our world came crashing down.
It was a double whammy for us, with the recent case of Bobo having to undergo surgery for hip dislocation and now Ash having renal failure. Along with other dogs that are more challenging to rehome, we are now faced with a possibility of not being able to find Ash a suitable home, and having to manage his medical and food costs for the rest of his life.
Without dwelling much on his past, moving forward, we have decided to tackle his kidney issue by customizing a raw diet to ensure Ash receives the best possible diet that’s curated for him. This will cost us about $300 per month.
Ash is also on a daily cocktail of medication; Lanthanum Carbonate (phosphate binder) and Fortekor (for protein loss). Ash also needs to have his blood checked weekly, and receives a weekly injection of Darbepoetin Alfa to treat his anaemia.
We see small improvements on his kidney readings over the past few weeks, and are hoping against hope that somehow, a miracle might happen and he could actually make a full recovery.